Played by Lenara

Sing With Me

Started by Ezio Ember at 16 Feb, 2020 11:33 am
May 15, 2020
14 Posts

Ezio Ember

Wolf Blood

Some people learn to love their chains.

There was something wrong with this potion, for sure, and unfortunately, Ezio had no idea what it was. Sure, he could cook up a perfect immortality potion (only after blowing himself into a wall repeatedly for two months), and a resurrection potion was a breeze (it still blew up), but whatever the heck was wrong with this one, Ezio didn't know. It was always the simpler things that escaped him. That was annoying, but it made sense all the same. He had his phone playing music, one earbud in, the other resting against his shirt, and he was trying to make a luck potion.

Finals were soon. To say he was stressing out was kind of making light of it. This was his last term, and he needed to pass. His goal was so close to being reached, he was almost an attorney, finally, it'd really suck to make it all the way here and then lose it. So he was brewing potions, studying a lot more than he should, and praying to whatever god was listening that he passed. Ezio had been working for it for a long time now. By this point, he wanted it because he'd gotten this far already, he may as well see it to the end.

A little hesitantly, Ezio dropped another pinch of dried herbs into the cauldron, and, as always it did, it suddenly flashed a bright white, and threw Ezio into the wall. Ezio slammed into it, hit the floor, and sighed, dropping his head onto the flooring repeatedly. Whyyyyy could his potions not fucking explode?! It was him. He was doing something wrong. No idea what, but something.

Give me hope, give me strength,
I don't know, where it went.

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

Here she was again, right after her last Friday class with the backpack full of fresh apples looking for a vacant cauldron as far away from Sage of Practical Magic as possible. For some reason Emilia suspected that Simeon didn't approve of her brewing nothing but needs potions for hours, not experimenting or learning something new. Likely he didn’t care, but she preferred to stay out of his skeptical sight. Not stumbling into one of the Charms would be nice too, while they were likely to actively ignore her, it was still stressful.

Emilia had just turned around the corner when a loud sound hit her followed by a flash of light and a heavy wave of hot air that made her lose her balance. The woman grabbed the wall and somehow managed not to fall down. Wow! What was that? Well, apparently a potion that had gone wrong judging by a small explosion cloud over the cauldron. The caster who'd been making it wasn't so lucky. He was thrown back forcefully and was now on the floor hitting his head at it in frustration. Well, at least he didn't pass out, so there was no toxic cloud, sometimes potions did that too.

Emilia walked up to the spellcaster. "Are you alright?" she asked offering a hand to help him get up.

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!

Ezio Ember

Wolf Blood

Oh, of course someone else noticed. Why wouldn't someone else be around to notice that? To be fair, the bright flash and the sudden explosion were kind of attention-grabbing, he supposed. Yes, well. He groaned slightly, tapped his head against the floorboards one more time, and then scooted up onto his knees. Ah, how nice, he gratefully accepted the helping hand, and stood up, brushing his jacket off.

"Yeah, I'm okay," he said. "Just kind of lost my ego somewhere, maybe wedged into the wall somewhere. If you see an ego oozing out of a wall, you let me know, eh?" Well, maybe his would just fall out of the wall without any fuss, because it was likely about the size of a pea. It was what it was. Ezio didn't have much in the way of an ego, and didn't terribly care to. Morgyn had all of their collective ego. What was amusing, he supposed, was that Morgyn didn't seem to have an ego, either, just be trying really hard to pretend the blond did.

Where was Morgyn, anyway? ... maybe it was a good thing the sage wasn't here. Yes, Ezio did know the difference between Morgyn and Duplicato relatively easily.

"It didn't get you, did it?" he asked, looking up at the lady and seeming concerned. That was a rather big explosion. And it was probably a good thing he didn't brew potions at home; if his apartment blew up, he'd be in some deep shit. "For some reason, even if they don't fail, my potions explode. Every time." It was a fact of life, apparently.

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

Once the man was up on his feet Emilia looked up at his face and froze for good few seconds, her expression a mix of surprise and confusion. Did he realize he looked exactly like… Oh, of course he did! Morgyn Ember was right up there, everyone knew the Sage. Their appearance was hard to miss or forget, and some people were getting a little too crazy about it. Not Emilia though, these things didn’t have quite the same effect on her. If anything, she was wary of beautiful people, they tended to be stuck-up and superior about it. In Morgyn’s case it was however overridden by being wary of them as the avatar of untamed destruction. One good thing about the tangled maze of human mind is that some demons got lost there the starved to death on their own. 

The man in front of Emilia looked very much like Morgyn, except the eyes and hair color. He was probably getting that a lot too, so she wasn’t going point it out, must be annoying. She was already tactless enough to stare. “Sorry,” the woman looked away, still wondering. Family? A sibling? Wasn’t Morgyn like century years old? Might as well be a descendant, like a grandson or something.

Emilia laughed softly at the ego joke. Self-irony, she got that, it was her way of dealing with these slip-ups too. If anything it told her there was not much of an ego there, or well, a healthy amount of it by her standards. “I’m sure it will be back in no time,” she reassured him with a smile.

“No, I’m fine,” Emilia took a step towards the cauldron and cautiously looked inside. What was it anyway? “I’d offer help with the potion, but it’s probably something beyond my rank,” judging by the explosion at least. Emilia’s potions often failed too but not quite as spectacularly.

Ezio Ember

Wolf Blood

Sorry? For what? Ezio tilted his head and arched an eyebrow in confusion. As far as he could tell, there wasn't anything to be sorry for? Clearly, she thought so, given she'd said it, though he did not really know why. It didn't mean there wasn't a reason, and perhaps it was a touch insensitive to state that there was nothing to be sorry for. It almost sounded a little dismissive, if you stretched a bit, and Ezio tried not to be unnecessarily unkind, even if it was on accident, or perhaps harmless.

So instead, he just smiled. It was good she was okay, then. Phew. Hadn't been that serious of an explosion, at the very least, there was that to be glad for. Sometimes the explosions were huge, and other times they weren't, it depended on the day. And probably to some extent, the potion. It was almost impossible not to get thrown across the room by the resurrection potion, Ezio had discovered. At least, his, anyway.

"Oh, it's a luck potion," he said, shuffling closer and looking at it. "Though, seems it didn't fail, at least. Finals time and all, and I'll need all the luck I can get. Oh, I'm Ezio, yes I know I look like Morgyn. We're twins." They acted nothing alike though, if you only knew them at surface level. He'd been told a few times he was nicer than Morgyn. That wasn't quite true, but there was no sense in arguing about it. It all depended on the day, anyway.

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

Oh, twins. Well, Emilia was glad she hadn’t said anything stupid voicing her assumptions about their family relation. Not that it was devoid of logic, but would have been kind of embarrassing nonetheless. She wondered why she’d never heard of Ezio before. People in the Realm sure loved to talk about Morgyn, but most of it sounded like implausible rumors and wild fantasies. It was almost like they were interested in everything about them except the part they were a person and had family, like it was too trivial. Emilia wasn’t much different thought, save for the obsession part, she didn’t quite consider Morgyn outside of their role. Unfair, come to think of it.

Oh, did he just say finals? A student too then? “I’m Emilia,” she introduced herself. “And yeah, I get it. UBrite Biology”. And she was there for the exact same reason, only different potions. It never occurred to her too use the luck one however. Emilia didn’t quite believe in luck, it was something too abstract, she relied on hard work. “Does it really help?” she asked nodding at the liquid in the cauldron, then looked up at Ezio and narrowed her eyes. “Also isn’t it like… cheating?” she didn’t judge, no, her voice sounded like genuine curiosity and slight amusement. Honestly, what the point of being a spellcaster and not taking advantage of it here and there?

Ezio Ember

Wolf Blood

Biology? That was an odd thing to be in UBrite for. It would make more sense if one took biology at Foxbury. Well, that was just if she wanted a distinguished degree, he supposed. Maybe there was a personal reason to want to be in UBrite. (Lobsters weren't Ezio's thing, that was for sure. It just happened Britechester's language and literature degree was the distinguished one.)

Yeah, maybe it was cheating. Ezio snorted in amusement. "UBrite Language and Literature," he said. "I suppose whether it helps or not depends. Maybe it's just a placebo. I haven't bothered thinking too much about it. If nothing else, it's good brewing practise, which I could use, if blowing myself into walls all the time with potions is anything to go by." He squinted in embarrassment, one hand rubbing at his neck.

"I wouldn't call it cheating though," he added. "The trick to anything in life is learning how to use the resources that are available to you. If you've got it... may as well. Wonder how much money you could make selling needs potions to university students? Would that constitute drug dealing?" Now that was a question. He wasn't going to think about it very much. Before he made a huge mistake.

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

Languages and Literature, huh? So he was in one of the distinguished degrees. Emilia wondered how much luck potions had to do with it. Ah, she was just jealous and touchy about not getting into one herself. Her perfectionism did that sometimes. No need to be mean. Besides, she was inclined to believe the placebo version. Emilia wasn't going to say it though. If Ezio believed it helped, then good for him.

Yes, she couldn't help wondering about the explosions. "My potions don't do that fortunately. I didn't know they could. But now I'm gonna be a little wary of it," she admitted. Shouldn't Ezio be like very high ranking caster, being Morgyn's twin and same age? Maybe that was the problem?

Wait, what he said about the needs potions. He was just joking, right? Right? Ezio wasn't seriously considering...  "Uhhh, I'm not sure, but please don't," she looked up at the man in disbelief. "I'd rather keep them to myself. At the moment it seems to be the only edge I've got. Speaking of which... umm, not to be rude, but are you finished with the cauldron?"

She slid her backpack off, unzipped it and took two apples out. "Want one?" she offered the fruit to Ezio.

Ezio Ember

Wolf Blood

Whaaaat? Hers didn't do that? Well, of course not. Morgyn's didn't seem to, either. Then again, Morgyn had been at this practicing magic thing for at least a century longer than Ezio. He was used to it. Everything Morgyn seemed to be able to grasp naturally, Ezio had to fight for. But what was he, if not a fighter? Maybe a lover.

... yeah right.

Ezio snorted softly. "Yeah," he said, waving a hand and bottling the now very green potion that'd so rudely thrown him into the wall. "And sure." He had an apple tree, but extra apples was never a bad thing. He felt like he should probably launch into a spiel about how living on needs potions was bad for you anyway, but then, she probably knew that. "... out of morbid curiosity, how many needs potions do you go through, anyway?"

As long as his numbers were below hers, maybe he was doing good. What was the measure for doing good, anyway? Was it just, I haven't had a heart attack? That was a weird bar to try keeping track of. How did one track that in the first place? He could literally have a heart attack in ten minutes if his heart felt like doing it randomly.

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

Emilia watched enviously as Ezio bottled up the potion with a wave of his hand. She might be able not to blow herself up and repair plants with a spell, but objects manipulation like this was still beyond her. They didn't teach it, it was for every spellcaster to figure out on their own, but the woman couldn't quite manipulate objects in a normal human way without kicking, dropping and spilling stuff all the time. So far she was just reluctant to try and practice it. Clumsiness was a curse.

Oof, he asked that. "Not too many, can't say exactly,” oh, she sure could, it was just that the number was troubling and she feared to voice it even to herself. Well, she did sleep occasionally, and had a decent meal once in a while thanks to her roommate. Rei was her guardian angel in many ways. "I know it's not healthy.  But it's temporary, you know, just this term and..." she didn't finish, instead wrinkling her nose in a funny grimace and shaking her head. Who was she lying to? Emilia was fairly sure every spellcaster tried to convince themselves that it was just for this term, this week, this night. "Live young, die hard, right?" or something like that.

Emilia was about to start on her potions filling the cauldron and placing the apple in it. But suddenly she swayed, one hand grasping at the cauldron's edge for support, the other reaching up to press against her temple. "Whoa". Damn that vortex.