Simprovise
Emilia Ernest • Spellcaster
Played by WASD

Days Go By

Started by Simeon Silversweater at 26 Feb, 2020 7:22 pm
May 14, 2020
15 Posts

Simeon had finished up with who he thought was going to be the last of his students for the day. It was towards the evening hours, and while he'd still be here for quite a bit longer, he'd found that most didn't tend to feel up to bothering even the sages too late. That didn't mean they wouldn't especially if something was important, but it did mean that Simeon could at least take a bit of a break and perhaps finish the snack he'd made himself hours ago before promptly being distracted helping with potions practice. 

He sat on one of the benches, near where most knew where to find him. Some corner of his mind was still running a thousand miles an hour, it always was, making plans figuring out what they needed more of in stores, making sure that they had the ingredients they needed. Most students supplied their own, of course, and that was quite helpful, but... it wasn't always the case for various reasons. 

At least basic ingredient stores were more-or-less necessary, and then there was making sure the books got put away. Some sim was always leaving them laying about on benches, occasionally even on the floor. How hard was it to put a book back where one found it? Well, it was apparently nearly impossible for some. Simeon tried not to be annoyed, and most of the time it worked. The rest of the time he kept it to himself - they really only needed one explosive Sage, and they had .. well... two. Really. Depending on the day, at least.

Simeon loved both Morgyn and L, they were in a way family after all this time, but the two did have their moments, for sure. Then again, most sims did. He did pull his phone out, absent mindedly checking on a phone game he played before tucking it back in his pocket and standing up. Maybe he'd just go on a walk around headquarters for a bit. 

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

Emilia was angry. The yoga class she’d taken was meant to clear her mind, and maybe it did after she hit the floor for the fourth time, but apparently it wasn’t how it was supposed to work, so the woman was just pissed off. It was a bad mood to carry back home and have Rei deal with it. But it was a perfect mood for frog hunting, so Emilia activated her glimmerstone and teleported to the Magic Realm right from the gym locker room. Normally she felt bad about the need to sacrifice living things for potions, but right now she’d boil anyone in the cauldron. (Of course not! But that was how she felt.) Unfortunately her catch in the Realm’s gardens was disappointing – just a couple of totally unimpressive useless specimens. Someone must have already cleared the place before Emilia.

It was on her way back to headquarters that the woman noticed it – a rare striped frog sitting at the edge of the water stream with its ugly little resting bitch face. Emilia bent down and stretched her arms forward slowly creeping on the frog. Carefully, carefully. She got close enough before lunging forward to grab the thing, but at the very last moment the frog made a majestic leap to the side and then started rapidly hopping away from its unfortunate hunter. “Fuck!” Emilia squeaked furiously and ran after the little amphibian bastard. A few long minutes later, the woman found herself standing in front of Sage Silversweater trying to catch her breath. She hoped Simeon hadn’t witnessed her epic chase – that would have been embarrassing.

“Good evening, sir,” Emilia greeted him and made something of a salute with the hand that didn't have a frantically kicking frog in it. If she was to pick a favorite Sage, it was certainly Simeon she liked and respected most. Not that she disrespected L or Morgyn, but she was kind of wary of them both. And the Sage of Practical magic was that strict but fair type that made you question your stupid behavior by just looking at you and not saying anything. And suddenly Emilia’s anger was gone. The blonde looked at the little animal in her hand, now it was just scared and helpless. With a sigh, Emilia released the frog and looked back up at the Sage. “I wonder what part of them we need for potions exactly. If it’s a specific secretion or cell type, maybe we can just synthesize it? Modern science could do it easily. I feel bad about killing living things”.

Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!

"Good evening, Emilia." Simeon greeted politely, offering the girl a small smile. He hadn't seen much of what led her to be standing in front of him, but it was hard to miss the frog squirming in her hands. He didn't comment on that fact directly - it was hardly uncommon for frog hunting to happen around Magic Realm, and sometimes there were good specimens to be found - in fact, it looked like Emilia herself had been lucky.

Emilia always had interesting ideas and theories. It was unfortunate she was as clumsy as she was - it meant that many of the things she tried didn't pan out the way they were supposed to. On the other hand, she had a brilliant mind, and Simeon did think she could certainly get around the fact that she was clumsy if she tried and slowed just a touch. The energy of youth was strong in her, and it was always a joy to see either way.

And here, today, she had another interesting idea. "Surprised you released it. That was a good specimen." They could be kept and bred, even if she didn't need to make a potion just now. Simeon didn't say that though, instead considering what she'd added afterward, his expression thoughtful. "A good question, actually." He could admit that. "I'll admit I never thought to experiment and try to figure that out." Much of the time it was easier not to change things that had worked for centuries.

Tried and time tested methods tended to be safer than experimenting to try to find a new way of doing something similar. Still, Simeon could sort of understand her concern. Some sims were squeamish about taking the lives of animals to better their own lives. Simeon didn't have such reservations, but he could understand why other sims might. "I suppose that's something that one might find worth experimenting with. But it would probably take a number of failures first. Should start with something simple, potion wise." Sort of thoughtful, considering the best way of doing that.

Then again each potion may need different parts of the specimen. ...Hm. "How are you this evening?"

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

A mild encouragement and a warning to be cautious with her experiments. It was nice. Simeon could as well have told Emilia her question was complete nonsense and she had better stick to the centuries-old recipes. On the other hand, the Sage of Practical magic had to be the epitome of healthy pragmatism, and Emilia’s suggestion was undeniably practical in its nature. Or it was just the fact was that while being quite rigorous in regard of discipline and accuracy Simeon had never been directly harsh to his apprentices, not to Emilia at least. The girl had to admit she appreciated such attitude immensely and could have used someone like Simeon around when she was growing up. Not that she perceived Sage Silversweater as parental figure. Or maybe she did.  

“This may take as many frogs to figure it out, isn’t it?” Emilia shook her head. “And turn up totally worthless in the end”. Sacrifice the few to save the many – it sounded good in theory, but in reality the few often became the many leaving not enough to save. Emilia had to remember the immortal truth about good intentions and think on a larger scale. Maybe things were as they were for good reasons and she had better focus on learning how to make twelve potions with one frog instead of four. In the end it would make less frog deaths on her hands, if that was what she was worrying about. Finding her own healthy pragmatism was necessary if Emilia was going into the profession she’d chosen. 

“I’m fine I think, thank you,” the girl smiled warmly, quite pleased by this little bit of personal attention, then realized something and moved to stand beside Simeon instead of blocking his way. “Oh, sorry to disturb you! You probably have something more important to do than discussing frogs with me”. Because the Sages always had something important to do, right? That’s what their title was about, Emilia assumed.

"It's possible." Simeon admitted. And that was one of the things he liked about Emilia - given a moment or two, she did usually finish following her thought through and realize the implications of what she was suggesting. Sometimes those were good, and sometimes it was worth trying anyway. Other times she realized that the short cut she was trying to find might be as much work or more than the already beaten path. She had much of the exuberance of youth, but it was tempered with a great deal of intelligence.

Simeon thought the practicality would set in better over time - but she did tend to be reasonably practical, in his experience. ... Just clumsy, which wasn't really her fault, and excitable, which was hardly rare in younger spellcasters. Or... younger sims in general, really. She was often in a good mood though and was the sort of sim that could almost light up a room just by existing - one Simeon always did enjoy having around. Even if he did have to pay a little extra attention to make sure nothing went wrong with a potion or was knocked over.

"It's good to hear that you're doing well." Even cheerful sims sometimes had bad days, after all. Simeon would know all about those, because sometimes a day was just a bad day for no clear reason. That wasn't anyone's fault, it just was. 

"You're not disturbing me." Simeon responded, a wry smile pulling at his lips. "I was just going to take a walk around headquarters, since I wasn't in the middle of anything." And so he didn't mind pausing and talking with some sim instead. "Catching frogs for a particular potion, or just happened to spot it?" Sometimes one had plans, sometimes they didn't - and part of Simeon's job was to help when he could, after all.

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

“Just was in a frog-hunting mood,” Emilia shrugged with a soft laugh. She would have probably ended up leaving her catch in the HQ for other casters to use anyway. Rei might tolerate her roommate bringing abandoned plants home, but not setting up a frog breeding farm in her house. They had a greenhouse though, mostly used as storage space at the moment. But Emilia was pretty sure Rei wouldn’t mind her growing fresh greens in there. Then she could find room for the frogs too without them escaping and scaring the shit out of someone by sudden croaking from under the bathtub. “But not anymore. May I join you on the walk then?” Just strolling and talking to Simeon might be just what she needed to fully recover her better mood.

“Who decided to use frogs for potions anyway?” Emilia asked after a while. This question had been bugging her for some time by now, and who was better suited to answer it than one of the Sages? The girl didn’t formulate it quite clear though. What came first, an egg or a chicken, a frog that had properties that could be used or the need to seek out those properties to make a specific potion? Was magic invented or discovered? “I mean who or what sets the rules for magic?” Was it the Sages or the magic itself? The more Emilia watched other spellcasters, especially the powerful ones, the more she was convinced it was less about rules and more of a fail-safe fool-proof thing, making magic predictable and uniform for beginners. A reference grid of sorts, a measurement system without which magic couldn’t be taught. And after some point it stopped mattering as much, giving way to each spellcater to shape and hone their skill in a more personal individual manner. “And are those objective boundaries magic can’t go beyond or limitations set by a caster’s idea of the possible?”

Whoa, that was quite a side leap too as far as her initial frog question went. And it made it sound like Emilia wanted to do something outside the safety rules set for spellcasters of her rank or defy whoever or whatever established them. Simeon might not like this idea. “I’m not planning to do anything dangerous or forbidden!” she hastened to assure the Sage. “Just wondering”.

"Of course you can." Simeon agreed with a warm smile. With that he did go ahead and start on the walk, assuming Emilia would follow along at her own pace. He didn't really have a goal in mind, and really did just want to take in the evening air and stretch his legs a little. 

Emilia had interesting questions, Simeon certainly had to admit that. He let out a brief chuckle, but didn't immediately move to answer them, considering instead the best way to answer those questions. His instinct was to say that magic just was and perhaps it was that simple for most people - but he knew instinctively that Emilia wouldn't be satisfied with such a noncommittal response. "If I had to guess magic itself set the rules. Or perhaps the fairies did." It was hard to say, exactly. 

The All controlled magic and was the source of it, for Spellcasters, but he didn't think the All set the rules, exactly. Magic had come from the fairies, so there was some sense in thinking that they may have done it. But it was also possible that magic just was all the same. "Certain things likely are objective boundaries, others are... limitations set by those who came before us because certain magics were considered to be too dangerous to be taught anymore." It depended on the specific one. Things could be done with their spells that were... not what young spellcasters expected, for example, and other things had been deliberately locked away. "Others are merely taught because until you've mastered the basics going beyond them is dangerous."

"Which I suppose only muddies the issue. What did you have in mind, exactly? I may be able to offer somewhat more directed information." Simeon also believed there was likely magic that they hadn't discovered and didn't use that nevertheless might be useful in the right circumstances. The trick was figuring out what those things might be without running into the magic that had been set aside intentionally. Or managing to hurt oneself while playing with raw magic.

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

Emilia walked beside Simeon listening to his answer and digesting what he’d said. No, it didn’t make it clearer, but it did provide new information to consider and add to the equation. Fairies could have set the rules. Emilia didn’t know anything about fairies: what were they like, where had they gone? The modern spellcasters, did they have some fairy genes in them? Emilia heard that some Sims could not accept Mote Sight and that indicated they would never be able to cast. It was rare and sad but the implications were interesting. 

“I was thinking about healing magic,” Emilia said shyly, felling she was getting ahead of herself with that, being merely an Acolyte and hurrying into uncharted territories already, before she mastered what was available. “No, not healing exactly, more like medical magic,” the girl corrected herself. Healing was not the right term, it implied something miraculous. And magic wasn’t that, if Emilia was to put her guess into words, it was something in between miracle and science. It wasn’t a power one could fully control, only conduct into physical world in a number of ways. And whether those ways were truly hardcoded or not – that was the question. “I’ve always felt it’s something that’s missing”. Every fantasy piece had healing magic, but she wasn’t going to use it as reference when talking to Simeon. On the other hand, many things existed now that had been considered fairy tales before, right?

“Now that you mentioned fairies, I think I can come up with two explanations for that,” Emilia said looking ahead with unseeing eyes, absorbed in the new theory that was immediately unfolding in her mind. “One of them is – and it’s pure speculation of course – that fairies just didn’t need it. Is it possible? Like they needed to satisfy their necessities, take care of gardens, repair things, fight each other or someone else, reverse death, but didn’t need to deal with physical injuries or disease”. That was far-fetched but that could explain why that particular branch had never been developed. Demand determines supply and all that. Emilia looked up at Simeon wondering what he had to say about it.

Healing magic, hm? Simeon considered that for a moment - medical magic. She wasn't necessarily wrong, in that it wasn't something they typically could manage with magic. They did, occasionally, manage simple things like healing very small injuries by encouraging the cells to regenerate more quickly but it only worked on small wounds. Beyond that... they just didn't. Was that something that was hard coded into magic? Simeon didn't really know. They had a potion that made them essentially immortal from time, and one that allowed them to resurrect the deceased in a limited matter. 

They'd never pushed beyond that, and now that Emilia mentioned it, Simeon did have to wonder why. Could they develop something like that? He didn't really see why not. "I can certainly understand why you might consider it to be missing. I've never really considered it before." Which was interesting when one considered the fact that Ezio was quite literally dying from something their magic couldn't fix, and they were relying on modern medicine. On the other hand, modern medicine was handling it more or less as well as anything could, and maybe that was why.

Because they didn't necessarily know if they could do better, and those sorts of experiments could be deadly if something were to go wrong.

"It's possible." Simeon responded after a moment. "I don't think the Fae really dealt with physical injury or illness the way we do." Not that Simeon would really know. He'd never directly interacted with fairies. "Still, it's not a terrible idea to see if it's possible to develop it." Not really. "I would be a bit concerned about the possible risks with experimenting though, since depending on what you're trying to heal it could be quite delicate." Human bodies were rather fragile, to be totally honest about it. 

"What was the other explanation?" He was curious what was on her mind. Emilia's mind was quite brilliant even if she did perhaps get ahead of herself from time to time. Or, perhaps, that was the reason why she did. Because staying within boxes was difficult for a mind like hers - Morgyn's, too, after all. 

Emilia Ernest

sweet summer child

Well, she wasn’t utterly wrong in her assumptions, and that Emilia could be glad for. They’d never considered it before? It was a bit surprising, but at the same time it was better than hearing that they had considered it and established it was certainly impossible. That actually brought them to that other theory she had.

“The other explanation is that magic must rely on the knowledge of mechanics underneath it,” Emilia said. “We may not know what processes exactly lay behind Dedeathify or Potions of Immortality, but those who invented that magic could have known”. Maybe fairies didn’t exactly know how to repair a laptop, but probably extrapolating existing spells on new objects and technologies was easier than inventing new ones. And today’s casters didn’t need to understand it, just be able to replicate the spell.  

“What I’m trying to say that medicine didn’t exactly know what to do either, until recently. Most of advanced medical technologies, both in diagnostics and treatment, didn’t come until nuclear age and space explorations and were invented as a side effect of those advancements”. Before that medicine was… well, they used heroin as cough remedy just a century back. “So now that modern medicine it fairly certain about at least some things, magic could be adapted to do those things, like non-invasive operations, cellular reparation, something like that?” Because magic was such tremendous power, it felt like it was wasted for nothing. Not that it couldn’t do amazing things, but if it also could save lives, literally, wouldn’t it be perfect? Emilia was a perfectionist, yes.

“Of course, it’s still so far from experimental stage!” the girl wouldn’t dare try anything on living Sims. She wasn’t even a certified medic yet! Just getting ahead of herself again. But it was nice to think that one day in the future someone could eventually figure it out. Not Emilia of course, and unlikely it could happen in her lifetime either. Given that the Realm itself could last long enough, because, honestly, things didn’t look good. With all the beauty of floating rocks, it was hard to miss the decay and destruction.