Collapse Menu

Dancing's what makes me whole — San Myshuno

Dancing's what makes me whole

Started by Candy Behr at 25 Mar, 2020 12:13 pm
May 25, 2020
8 Posts

Played by WASD

Sim

Sunset in San My, pink and peach colored clouds against purple sky, reflecting in Uptown’s glass towers - this made for a perfect backdrop. Candy took off her jacket and threw it on the concrete parapet, then looked around for something to put her phone up against. The flower bed nearby did the trick, Candy turned on the music and camera and started moving in an upbeat shuffle, flowing above the ground as her bright sneakers barely touched it. Ah, she missed it. This was probably a strange thing for someone who did dancing for a living. But Candy missed dancing like this.

This energetic manner wasn’t mainstream in Windenburg’s nightclubs anymore, now you mostly had to stand there barely moving and looking all sexy and bitchy. Somehow it brought more tip. Candy preferred not to think about it, but it felt like tricking the crowd into wanting to buy you. There was a line she didn’t want to cross, but tip sure didn’t hurt. Next week she could probably buy that computer thing – what’s its name?  - Yuki mentioned a few times.

She wouldn’t be able to do this forever. Hopefully by that time Yuki would figure out what she wanted to do in life and succeed in it enough for her big sister to stop worrying. Candy never looked like she was worrying, appearing all carefree and smiling at any moment, but it didn’t mean she wasn’t. Moving to Windenburg may have seemed like a stupid or bold decision, but it actually was a desperate one on Candy’s part. Dancing was all she could ever do, but one could only do so much with it, and at least it got her one step closer to Del Sol Valley. There were a lot of steps ahead still…

The music stopped and so did the movement as Candy picked up the phone checking if the video recorded and saved correctly. A bit of bothering Yuki about editing it and it would make a nice update on her social media page. She put the phone down and froze admiring the last rays of sunset being drowned out by city lights turning on.

Played by Nebula

Sim

It was late. It was unsurprising that Troi was out so late, considering that, often, she was out until the wee hours of the morning. It was one of the things about being a doctor Troi had never gotten used to, nor come to like. She would much rather stay home, of course, but it seemed that wasn't meant for her. Troi would like to get some of her life back, but, this was her life now, and it wasn't as if she was unhappy with it, not really. She enjoyed helping people. Sometimes, it felt like she wasn't helping anyone at all, that was all. It felt like all of this struggle was for nothing. Well, that was how it felt like now. Later, it'd feel different. She'd save a life, help someone take the first steps to being healthier, make a child feel better after a long bout of flu, and it'd all seem worth it.

She'd taken a detour to Uptown, bringing gifts to one of her coworkers that was on leave for a while. It was the music that caught her attention first, but the blonde and pink moving around to the beat kept it. Troi stopped where she was, watching the girl dance without a care in the world. It made her realize how much she'd missed music and dancing. Those were some of the only things anyone had, out on the street, to make themselves feel better. That maybe the long and dark tunnel wasn't as long or as dark as it seemed like. It'd been so long since she'd had the opportunity to listen to music, it managed to be somewhat nostalgic.

Troi giggled at herself, as the young woman stopped, and Troi moved to join her in watching the last of the sunset. The street lights came on, the towers of glass and steel lit up, and bridge's lights began to move. The lights across the bridge put on, and Troi smiled, heaving a small sigh. "This time, just as the sun falls under the horizon, and everything starts washing out and turning blue... I love that part. You dance really well, by the way. Are you professional?" It seemed like she might be. And if she wasn't, maybe she should be. Troi may know a person or two. And perhaps, she might be related to Octavia Moon.

Played by WASD

Sim

Candy turned to look at the beautiful dark-skinned woman standing beside her. Her face seemed slightly familiar, and though Candy didn’t really know anyone in San My, there were Sims she’d seen at local festivals enough times to start recognizing them. She assumed the stranger was one of those. The blonde smiled amicably. “I love the night,” she said. “I feel free to be myself at night”. Because night was her time to shine. Day was reserved to bright, smart, educated Sims doing serious things, work and studies. Candy didn’t have a place in that race, her reading disorder made her an outsider by default. It’s not like the girl was uneducated, she had special program for kids like her up till middle school, but further academic path was closed to her. It stopped mattering though as soon as street lights lit up. Night was Candy’s time to be good at what she was good at. And that was dancing.

“Thank you!” she smiled wider at the compliment. “Depends on what you call professional. I’m self-taught, but I work as a dancer, yes”. Candy had been dancing ever since she could remember. Her skill came from hours and hours of watching music videos, taking choreography apart, learning the steps then putting it back together, repeating, improvising. But despite the time and effort the girl had put into it, dancing had never been considered more than a hobby within her family, nor anything with a potential. Maybe it was one of the reasons Candy welcomed the idea of moving to Windenburg so eagerly. Maybe it was the main reason.

“My name is Candy,” the introduction followed by a slight bow of her head. “I live in Windenburg with my younger sister. Do you live here in San Myshuno?” It was most likely, but the blonde asked anyway feeling it would be polite to reciprocate the interest taken in her by the beautiful stranger.

Played by Nebula

Sim

Well, if one asked Troi, that was close enough to professional for her. She smiled slightly. Troi had seen people teach themselves amazing things out on the street. Some people didn't think that was a valid way of learning anything, but Troi had to wonder how those people thought people learned anything in the first place.

You'd never have someone to teach you things if somewhere back there, someone figured it out on their own. That was how it worked. Sure, someone teaching you let you skip a lot of trial and error, and learn faster, but maybe not necessarily better. There were a few professions where it was greatly beneficial to mortality rates to learn from someone else, rather than through trial and error, but dancing was fortunately not one of them.

"Yeah," Troi answered. "Not out here, though, on the other side of the bridge." She pointed towards the Spice Market. The sign was visible even from here, though it was a bit obscured by the varying buildings. "I'm Troi. You come up here and dance around a lot? Shoo. Hard to imagine the snobs up here not throwing a fit over it. None of these folks would know fun if it turned into a cobra and bit them in the -- well, even if I had the money, I don't think I'd live here."

Come to think of it, she thought, by now, she probably did. But her mother wouldn't do terribly well in a high-rise, and Uptown was... well, up. Strange, they'd named it aptly.

Played by WASD

Sim

“That's why I don't come here during the day”, Candy giggled cheerfully at Troi’s joke. Street performers were often considered same as beggars, and especially so by those rich business-minded people in places like Uptown. "It just looks pretty in videos," the dancer waved her phone in the air, "but it feels dead, even when it's crowded".

"I prefer flea market over there," the blonde girl nodded in the direction Troi just pointed. Paradoxically, not the most well-off people often turned out to be most generous and welcoming audience. Fashion district people were nice enough too. And you could even meet celebrities there occasionally! Arts quarter was all about, well, arts and performing, but it was ruled by a whole other kind of snobs, so Candy kept away as well.  

“I think Yuki  – that’s my sister – would like to live in the city,” she said somewhat thoughtfully. Some parts of the city looked so much like where the sisters were from. And there were a lot of foreigners like them too. Windenburg was so beautiful, but also too alien. Yuki seemed to have a hard time adjusting to their new life. “Or not. You know, sometimes I think I know my sister better than anyone, other times I think I don’t know her at all,” Candy smiled helplessly.

Played by Nebula

Sim

Ahhh. That made a lot more sense than hanging around here expecting the rich snobs up here to be somewhat charitable. For some reason, Troi often found living statues and mimes up here. Maybe it was easier to dea with when one was a statue or a mime. Troi herself had too much sass. She couldn't imagine dealing with it, personally, and not smacking someone at some point. More power to the people that could handle it. Troi would stick to her severed limbs and blood and catheters.

Alright, it wasn't like she dealt with that anymore, now that she was specifically a cardiologist. But to be honest, you try being Ezio Ember's fucking cardiologist and not want to drink yourself half to death. Maybe some weekend, she should go do something fun. When was the last time she had, anyway?

Yuki? Oh, sister. Troi smiled a bit ruefully there. She had siblings, too, and knew how that felt. You grow up together with someone, it seems like you should know all of someone's secrets and things like. Then at some point or another, you realized you didn't really know much at all, but maybe it was always like that. People weren't simplistic creatures, and they weren't static, either. Things changed, people changed with them.

"I know how that feels," Troi said. "I've a few siblings myself. I think it's just part of the sibling experience. But I think it'd hurt too much, if a sibling started thinking of you differently, so we hide things we wouldn't normally, and probably shouldn't. Hmm. You could always ask her, though." Certainly, Troi didn't think it could hurt. "But if it makes you feel better, I don't understand mine, either." That probably wasn't comforting, though.

Played by WASD

Sim

It was comforting to hear, that someone understood and felt the same way. That made Candy think she wasn’t a bad big sister, and maybe that was what she wanted to hear in the first place. “I don’t think we can actually move here anyway,” the girl shrugged. They had a house and managed bills alright, but couldn’t probably afford another move easily. Well, Yuki sometimes just handed her a decent sum of simoleons with no explanation, not that Candy really wanted one. It was probably from winning videogame tournaments. (It was nothing illegal, right? Right??) “I work in Windenburg and Yuki’s doing well enough in the new school”. It was hardly a good idea to change those too often, especially given how introverted her sister was.

But Troi’s point wasn’t whether they would actually move or not, the point was in asking, in communicating and keeping the connection. Candy thought both she and Yuki were still too young to have things to purposely hide from each other, but maybe it was a mistake thinking that, these things, they had to start somewhere. “I know why I came here,” Candy said, “dancing is the only thing I’m good at and I think I have more chances here, to turn it into something… real? Professional as you say”. That or less people to say ‘I told you so’ when she failed, which was also quite valid. “But I don’t know why Yuki followed. I wouldn’t want it any other way, I’d feel so lost without her! But she seems unhappy and I’m afraid to ask”, because it might turn out it was Candy’s fault. Yuki could have stayed home, it could have been arranged if she wanted to. One could think the teen girl blindly followed her big sister, but Yuki wasn’t the kind of person to do anything blindly really, she was too smart for that, way smarter than Candy. Ugh, that was honestly too complicated for Candy’s little blonde head (she wasn’t really blonde, but whatever).

“Sorry, I talk too much!” the girl made an apologetic gesture with her hands and smiled. “Anyway, you don’t seem fond of this place either. Do you work here?” There was nothing but exorbitantly expensive apartments and corporate offices around, and if Troi wasn’t living here, then it was a fair guess.

Played by Nebula

Sim

Troi blinked. That was surprising, but then, maybe Candy just needed someone to talk to. Ezio always did say she was easy to talk to (as did Octavia), but it still was sure confusing when it happened. Troi tried not to think about it too hard. You'd think, after a while, she'd have gotten used to it enough not to question it so much. You'd think wrongly, it'd seem.

The story Candy's rambling painted was an interesting one. It seemed they'd just moved to Windenburg. The younger sister was doing okay but seemed unhappy. Okay. Well, younger sisters were finicky that way, especially if this one was still a teenager. (The teenage years were the worst.) Maybe Yuki was just young and awkward, maybe there was something to be concerned about. It was hard to say, surely Troi had no answers, but if she was afraid to ask about it, then there may never be any telling for sure.

Ah? "No," Troi said, shaking her head. "One of my coworkers lives here, and I came by to give something to her. I work in Newcrest." The hospital, to be exact, but that felt like bragging. "I didn't think you were talking too much. Sometimes you just need to talk, and I'm okay at listening. I think, though, maybe you'll only get answers to this one with time. But if your sister's young enough, sometimes they're just moody for no clear reason."

Because being a teenager was so exhausting and unfair? It sure always seemed that way.