Guess Who's Back

Started by Devon Murakami at 21 Aug, 2020 3:06 pm
June 3, 2020
9 Posts

Played by Razzyo

Sim
16 years old // 5'10"

Your heart is a muscle You gotta work it out Make it stronger

Whoa, how long had it been since he was here again? Willow Creek! Okay, it had only been a couple of years. His father decided he didn't like it so much in the desert and brought them back to where they started and so... here they were. Same town he grew up in, different neighborhood. A nice enough neighborhood, though. Familiar, too. If he recalled, an old friend lived a couple blocks in that direction... 

Devon had been jogging around the block when the thought occurred to him; maybe he wasn't going to be totally friendless when he went back to school. I mean, his old friends all lived here before. Why this one in particular stuck out... He didn't really dwell on that part. Slowing his pace, he eventually dropped to a casual stroll. Yeah, this was all looking super familiar. And for some reason, it made his heart beat faster. (Nah, he told himself it was just the exercise, even though he was regularly outdoors and on the track team.) 

And there it was. Huh. Not much changed since he left. Well, it was only a couple of years. He wondered if Alex would even remember him. And that was where he was standing when the door opened and he stood there looking at a familiar face... albeit older and a little more mature than when they last saw one another. 

"Hey~!" Devon called with a wave--already having been caught. No need to be embarrassed or anything. He put a hand on his hip and grinned. "Guess who's back!" 

You say love's a fragile thing Made of glass But I think Your heart is a muscle

Played by WASD

Sim
gamer geek

Alexander opened the front door and froze in place looking at the last person he expected to see out there today. “Devon?” of course, he recognized the other teen standing in the street. A few years back, it would always be the first person he expected to see when he left the house.  

They used to be friends when they were younger and before Devon’s family moved away from Willow Creek. Not too close, mostly because Alex always had his sister and no matter how much they fought, Cassandra had always been and would always be his closest friend.  But as much as Alex wanted to stay glued to his videogames console, occasionally parents insisted he should go play outdoors, and that was where Devon always was.

Back then it seemed (though now Alexander realized it wasn’t quite possible) that the boy lived in the street. Because no matter what season or time of the day Alexander went out, Devon was there, playing in autumn leaf piles, catching frogs, building snowpals, chasing bugs in the grass.

At first Alex was that creepy kid in expensive cashmere coat and square glasses who watched Devon splash in mud puddles with visible disapproval and secret envy. Then one day he joined in. That was it, their friendship started in a mud puddle. Devon helped Alexander discover a lot of new things, like tree climbing, diarrhea from unripe apples and scratched knees.

Alexander ran down the stairs and towards the other teen, stopped one step away from him taking in the old friend’s new appearance. “You look good!” Alex had to admit, with all those tattoos covering his muscular arms – Devon had always been into sports. “What are you doing here?”

[Let me know if I'm assuming too much about Devon and I'll correct it:)]

Played by Razzyo

Sim
16 years old // 5'10"

"It's me~!" Devon grinned, holding his arms out to somehow show that it was indeed the one and only Devon Murakami. Back and in the flesh! Honestly, he was just relieved that Alex was still here. It would have been disappointing to come over and find somebody else occupying the place where his friend lived. What luck! 

For some silly and delirious reason, Devon thought that Alex was going to run straight into his open arms and he was all prepared to envelope him in a friendly hug. It was definitely a silly thought. Alex stopped a step away and Devon shortly dropped his arms at his sides. Oh yeah, he looked down at his arms as Alex looked at his tattoos. His mother let him get them when he begged her for them. They weren't there the last time he knew Alex, though! 

"Thanks, you do too!" D'oh! Ignoring how it sounded, Devon's grin came back full force. What was he doing here? Heheh. "We moved back to Willow Creek! Isn't that great? We're down that way," he said, pointing down the street. "Couple blocks up that way." 

[Oh no, you got him perfectly!]

Played by WASD

Sim
gamer geek

“Yeah, it’s great! Welcome back!” Alexander smiled too. He was weirdly excited to see Devon, maybe because he wasn’t the only childhood friend who disappeared from radar since grade school, or maybe because Alex was feeling a little lonely in general. He had been since Cassandra enrolled in Foxbury.

“What school are you going to?” the teen asked. They hadn’t really interacted in grade school much, mostly because Alex had always been an insufferable nerd who did homework during lunch break. But it would probably be easier for Devon if there were some familiar faces around. On the other hand, this guy would likely have no trouble adapting to a totally new class either. Alexander – that was another story. He was sort of introverted and closed up, and generally creepy thanks to being one of the Goth kids. Alex didn’t adapt to change very well.

“How’s your family doing?” that seemed like the right thing to ask. In fact, Alexander didn’t remember much about Devon’s family. Didn’t he have a little sister? The teen didn’t know what else to ask or say. They shared good memories (at least Alex hoped they were good for Devon too), but now the two of them were a bit past ‘no time to explain, time to explore’ age. Things were so much easier when you were twelve. Could they become friends again? Was Alexander overthinking it? Probably yes.

Played by Razzyo

Sim
16 years old // 5'10"

"Same old one you're probably going to, since we're in the same neighborhood. Yeah?"

So he'd probably know some people and maybe there would be some new faces, too. It would be kinda nice, catching up with everybody. (Not that he'd gone searching everybody else down but he wasn't going to tell Alex that!) And then it was the family question and Devon groaned, holding the side of his head as he shook it. 

"Oh man... Mom's still crazy wild and doing too many things at once and dad's trying to make sure the house is clean and everybody's steady. My little sister... man, she must have been this tall last time you saw her." He made a motion closer to his knees. "Now she's up to here," he said, gesturing to his chest. "Oh and there's a new baby. He's... uh, he's a handful..."

He laughed. 

"I'd say you should come over some time after the boxes have settled but it might be too noisy for you." 

He leaned back on his heels. 

"So, how's your family?" 

Played by WASD

Sim
gamer geek

Alexander was glad Devon’s family was doing alright and their return to Willow Creek wasn’t due to some tragic misfortune. A new baby? Wow! That was kind of unexpected, though at the same time it should have been totally expected. That was what families did, they made babies. Plus, Devon’s parents were probably a bit younger than Alexander’s, since the teen was their eldest child. Not that Bella and Mortimer couldn’t have had another baby, it was probably still possible, but… that was not what Alex wanted to think about. Parents’ love life? Ewww.

“Fine,” Alex answered, shrugging one shoulder. “Cassandra, my sister, do you remember her? She’s is in Foxbury Institute now. Mom and Dad are always at work or some social gatherings, so I’m alone most of the time,” that probably sounded almost sad. But even with all Alex’s introversion and vast variety of indoor hobbies, sometimes the emptiness and the quiet of the old mansion became unbearable. So maybe he wouldn’t mind the noise too much for once. Or maybe the teen would reassess the value of the emptiness and quiet he had. “I think I can handle it. And… if you ever need some peace and quiet, you’re welcome,” Alexander smiled slightly and nodded back at his house.

Played by Razzyo

Sim
16 years old // 5'10"

"Oh yeah," he said, of Cassandra. He did remember her, and it didn't really surprise him, the updates that Alex shared with him. It seemed like the whole... normal trajectory of life around here. Now he thought his life story wasn't up to par, though. Nothing exciting seemed to happen in the Murakami family, damn it. 

Placing his hands over his face and letting out a sound of frustration that he'd been holding in, Devon finally removed his hands and let out a sigh of relief. He reached out and took Alex's shoulder in one hand. 

"You have no idea how much I appreciate the offer. I can't stand being home sometimes." Devon made a face. "My parents keep acting like I'm their own personal built in babysitter. As much as I love Ella and Theo, I definitely didn't sign up to be a teen parent!" 

Played by WASD

Sim
gamer geek

That… wasn’t fair, was it? Just because Devon was capable of taking care of younger siblings, didn’t mean it was his job. How did his parents expect him to manage both schoolwork and babysitting, let alone having any kind of life of his own, hobbies and all that.  Alexander thought he would have rebelled pretty hard if his parents ever tried to put him in such position. Bella and Mortimer never did that to Cassandra though, at least as far as Alex knew, but the Goth kids didn’t have much of an age gap between them. Anyway the teen didn’t think it should be that way.

“I can imagine, man, that’s kind of rude” Alexander frowned and shook his head in disapproval. And now that it was summer and no school for months, Devon was likely stuck with it as a full-time job. “Hey, it’s vacation time, maybe you could grab a tent and run somewhere to Granite Falls for a week or so? I mean, you’ve always been on about hiking and camping when you were a kid,” the boy smiled slightly at another memory. Alexander himself had never gone hiking or slept in a tent, somehow it was never on the list of his family’s summertime activities.

Played by Razzyo

Sim
16 years old // 5'10"

"Yeeeeeah, not even rude... like... it's selfish! Right? I'm not the one who had kids. I shouldn't have to take care of them whenever they want me to."

He was glad that Alex saw it the same way as he did because damn, it was nice to be able to vent about it. At home, he didn't want to be an ungrateful brat but damn. It wasn't fair that they always took it for granted that their eldest son would be able to watch their younger offspring. What if Devon had plans? And sometimes he DID and he was stuck with the kids because of his parents. 

Venting, however, made him feel infinitely better. He immediately perked up and grinned excitedly at the mention of camping. 

"YES!" He all but shouted his affirmation. "Let's do it!" He paused, then tilted his head slightly. "You're coming too, right?"