Collapse Menu

Things Never Said — San Myshuno

Things Never Said

Started by Raelle Tillman at 04 Sep, 2020 9:39 pm
June 1, 2020
10 Posts

Played by Arceus

Alien

You'll be criticised either way. Do whatever makes you happy.

That was both unexpected, and also very expected indeed.

On the one hand, Rae had told herself that she shouldn't talk about the things that were different about her, the things that were strange and gave her nightmares as a kid, the things she herself didn't understand and wasn't sure where to start to begin to. She always thought that everyone else, the people that were 100% fully and entirely human, they wouldn't understand. It wasn't like Rae did, how on earth could she expect anyone else to? On the other, some part of Raelle had always believed, or maybe just hoped, that it wouldn't come to this. That her parents wouldn't seriously turn her away because she read minds and glowed when feeling strong emotions...

She'd done a lot of hiding as a teenager. The sheer number of strong emotions she'd felt during her teen years was a little over the top. (She was pretty sure her friends thought she was doing drugs. Paradoxically, it made her cool for a while.)

Still, she didn't really have a place to call home anymore, and Rae didn't think she'd do well living on the street. She didn't exactly have any notable street savvy, and if someone pushed the right way, she was kind of gullible, too, just because she was a friendly sort of person and tried to do right by most people she met. High school had been something of a nightmare because of this trait, Rae couldn't imagine this being any different. So, she was looking for Mal.

All she remembered was that he'd gotten a boyfriend at some point, and some auntie or another said something about him being in San Myshuno working in a hostel, or something. Rae had a bit of money saved up, she could probably afford to stay there for a bit, at least until she found a job, and maybe Mal had a better idea, or knew somewhere she could go that was decently affordable. It was kind of a long shot. Of course, as a kid, she wasn't allowed to try contacting him, but she'd never hated him. He was just different too, in another way.

And all she could hope was that he didn't immediately hate her because she was an alien too.

Rae paused, tilting her head at the building in front of her. There were rainbows around the columns, the sign above the entrance declaring it the Casa di Colori. That was it, wasn't it? Rae pulled a piece of paper out, unfolding it enough to read what it said. The address was right, too (finding that auntie's phone number was hard but she'd managed). With a deep breath, she folded the paper back up, and then shuffled into the building, readjusting her backpack as she went. Hmm, nobody at the front desk... should she wait, or... well she didn't want to get lost either... so Rae sat down in one of the seats, and waited. Eventually someone would wander by.

Played by Lenara

Sim

Usually Malachite tried not to wander far when he was the one watching the front desk, because one never really knew what was going to come through the door. But, he had gotten a bit sidetracked helping one of the residents, and it meant that for just a few minutes, it was unattended. Still, it wasn't long before Malachite reentered the space. He recognized that there was a person there before he really processed them as an individual, but maybe that wasn't surprising.

"Hello there, sorry about the wait, had to take care of something in the back. Welcome to the Casa di Calori -" There was more he meant to say there but he froze slightly mid-sentence as he fully processed who was sitting in the chair nearby. "Rae?" His tone turned the word into a question, but then again it wasn't really a question, that was his sister and he knew it with a very clear certainty.

"I'm glad to see you but what's going on? What are you doing here? Is everything okay?" Many times when someone walked into the Casa the answer to that last question was no, and Mal didn't like the idea at all that maybe something had happened and she didn't have anywhere else to go. But- he was getting ahead of himself. It was certainly possible she'd only come here to find him and he shouldn't get worked up when nothing had been confirmed. "Not that I'm not glad to see you." He clarified belatedly, because of course he was.

Just, if their parents found out she'd come looking for him, it was hard to say what they'd do, but it might not be anything good, and really Malachite didn't want to get her in trouble, if she was still living with them. 

Played by Arceus

Alien

It'd been five years now, since the last time they'd seen one another. Rae was fifteen at the time, and Mal wasn't much older then either. Still, he didn't look much different, or she didn't think he did. As he wandered over, she stood up, nudging her backpack over her shoulder more firmly, so that it wouldn't slip, and smiled.

Somehow, the way he went into defensive mode almost instantly made her wonder if coming here had been a bad idea. Rae didn't like to cause trouble, or upset people. And maybe inadvertently dragging him into more problems with their stupid family would be a bad idea, or not terribly fair. Truth be told, she had no idea why she'd come here at all, except, she had no idea what else to do. Of course, she was a terrible liar. Lying about it would likely not end well, either.

"You know," she said, "I just... thought of you and wondered how you are. Got your address from an aunt we haven't spoken to in a while." She held up the folded paper in her hands. "This is a pretty neat place." Rae thought it sounded just like him, to try making a new home for people that needed one. And maybe she counted as needing a home now, but it seemed... presumptuous, maybe. Thinking that she'd be welcome here, and would fit in. She wasn't on the rainbow spectrum, either, and it'd been five years. Maybe she and Mal couldn't really get along anyway, and trying this was stupid.

And maybe she was making excuses in her head not to stay, because she was afraid that he wouldn't want her around, either.

"Sorry," she said, "I guess this was kind of sudden and everything. Um. I should probably go, I was just, here and thought I'd drop by and say hi." Did that sound plausible? She had no idea. It'd have to be good enough because she couldn't think of anything else.

Played by Lenara

Sim

"No, don't be sorry." Malachite said rather immediately. "I'm sorry if that came off wrong I just- you know most people who walk through that door, they do so because there aren't many places left for them to go." He sounded a little rueful, "And I guess I got a little upset at the thought that something might have pushed you so far that you didn't know where else to go, either. I know it's been a while, but we're still family, and I'm going to be really upset at our parents if they treat you the way they treated me." Malachite no longer really had it in himself to be mad on his own behalf, at least not at his parents.

His energy was better spent here at the Casa building a place for people who had families like his, families that didn't care that the kid that came out to them was the same kid they'd loved and known all along, it was just that now they knew more about that kid. Families that didn't deserve to have a kid at all, because they didn't have it in them to accept that kid no matter what life brought them. 

Malachite also didn't want to be the reason that Raelle suddenly didn't have anywhere else to go either. And if they found out she'd come here looking for him, it was very possible that that would happen, sad though it was.

"But I do want you to know, you're always welcome here. The Casa di Colori takes people of all kinds and walks of life, and it gives us somewhere to belong." And maybe not everyone found a permanent home here, but if there was a reason she'd come here that she wasn't sharing, he wanted Rae to know that they could make it work, even if maybe she wasn't ready to share what that thing may be. 

Played by Arceus

Alien

No, it was just... just. Rae was quite terrible at these things, she supposed. Then, she'd never spontaneously discovered she was blue until recently, either, nor that she read minds, and glowed when she felt strong emotions. It didn't seem like something every young girl dealt with, seeing as how none of her friends had this problem. Not that Raelle had told any of them about this, because that seemed like a bad idea of course.

Now she had to wonder. How many others were out there like her? Was this a normal thing, for an alien to find themselves stranded on a planet that they didn't belong on? Then, just how good of an alien would one of those be? If she went to the world she came from, she'd know nothing about it. So she wasn't human, and she wasn't alien, making her neither, and that felt like a very pitiful thing to be.

She was going to respond with words, of course, words tended to be more useful in situations like these, where one was communicating with someone else. Maybe it was a matter of time until she'd finally slowed down and started thinking about it enough to become upset about it all. It'd felt like it'd happened in a very short period of time, trying to come to terms with how things were, and learn to accept it, and then she was here. And she wouldn't have admitted it, or even given it much thought, how much it'd hurt to lose everything she'd ever had like that, because it didn't matter anyway. But now she was thinking about it.

She'd be angry, if she had any emotional range left for it around everything else she felt.

So, when she intended to use her words, all that came out instead was a quite strange little squeak, and then Rae started crying.

To her credit, she did manage to squeak, "I'm not even human, Mal," around the tears. At least it started explaining something?

Played by Lenara

Sim

Oh, oh no. Somehow, her bursting into tears said quite a bit to Malachite, and of course he moved forward and put is arms around her, patting her back gently. He was here, now, and it certainly didn't make up for whatever had happened, but it was the best he could offer for the moment. A safe place for her to stay, because the Casa offered that to everyone, and his presence as her brother, because Malachite would never walk away from Raelle, no matter what it was that had turned their parents away from her.

At least he assumed that was what had happened. What she'd said left him a bit confused, what would she be if not human? But that was a silly question, perhaps, for someone who had met vampires and spellcasters, if nothing else. They could get through this. So, he was quiet for a moment, just rubbing her back and letting her cry, because maybe that was what she needed at the moment, a chance to release some of those pent up feelings after whatever had happened that ended in 'i'm not even human'

"It's going to be alright." Malachite said quietly, and he meant it. "When you're ready, you can tell me what you mean, if you want." He made sure to make it clear that she didn't have to tell him if she wasn't ready to share. His presence and support wasn't contingent on knowing whatever it was that she was upset about. She could tell him when she wanted to and if she wanted to. And no matter what, in the mean time he would just be here, supportive and patient because someone should be.

He'd leave aside his upset at their parents too for the moment though, because Rae didn't need to deal with that, and he could be angry later. For now, his sister needed him, and that was far more important than lingering resentment that he wasn't going to do anything with anyway. 

Played by Arceus

Alien

Somehow, that was a strange reaction to her, but it made sense. He didn't seem terribly concerned by the mention of not being human, though. Rae didn't think about it too hard. Maybe right now she should just hush and be hugged and try and calm down a little. She'd done really well not having problems with that up until now, that staying calm thing, and maybe it was to be expected that she'd lose her ability to do so as soon as she'd gotten where she was going and it was safe to do so.

Of course, Rae hardly knew how to explain anything that'd happened in the last week or two. It'd happened so quickly, though she'd discovered she was an alien some time before and simply kept quiet about it. Turned out that was the right thing to do, and she should've never said anything to their parents. But then, it was hurtful in its own way, to be unable to be herself around the people that should've loved her no matter what. Her reading minds and being blue didn't change who she was.

It took some time for her to calm back down, but she suspected that it would. And when she did, she sniffled, backed away from Malachite, and shook her head. Her hair turned white, her skin turning a dark blue tone, but it was around the same value as her normal skin tone. She didn't suddenly get darker or lighter. Except her hair. It was white, and truthfully, that was weird. But then, with her hair white, she could dye it whatever colour she wanted.

"I read minds," she said. "And glow when I feel strong emotions. I think I'm an alien?" It wasn't like she really knew, it was all just guessing at the end of the day, because she didn't know anyone that would know for sure. And in the end, maybe it didn't make much of a difference anyway. She wasn't human.

Played by Lenara

Sim

Malachite was patient with Raelle, just letting her cry out the feelings that seemed to overflow from the other. And it wasn't surprising, really. From the sounds of it, the incident that had ended in her coming to find him had been hard, and that was a lot for any one person to deal with by themselves. But she didn't have to anymore, he was here, and he wasn't going to abandon her just because things weren't the way anyone expected them to be. 

Eventually though she did calm down, and when she started to back to Malachite let her go without any fuss. And then she shook her head and her skin and hair drastically shifted all at once. There was a notable expression of surprise that crossed his face, before it was replaced with wonder a few moments later. And then it faded as Mal got a hold of himself. This was still his sister, the same girl he'd loved and watched grow up. Nothing had changed except her skin and hair color - and skin color was hardly what defined someone. Sure, it was a shock, but she was also gorgeous and the things she could do with white hair.

Not the point. "Seems like a fairly likely assumption." Was what Malachite said finally. "I didn't know about the mind reading, that's got to be a headache." And a little creepy, maybe, but he did trust Raelle. "You are, believe it or not, not the first person of a blue persuasion to come through that door. .. Though Kaylie doesn't live here." No, she just visited Daren occasionally. Not the point. Maybe he'd introduce them if Kaylie came by again at some point in the future. One thing at a time, maybe.

"So I stand by what I said, we'll get through it together, even if I don't know much about aliens, I'm willing to learn." But really, Mal suspected what she needed was somewhere safe, and that was what the Casa was supposed to be in general. ... They'd cover the supernatural side of things here in a minute or two once she'd finished calming down.

Played by Arceus

Alien

That was it? That was the most tame response ever, and Rae honestly hadn't been expecting it. Then again, she didn't know why not. This was Malachite, after all, the one that'd been essentially disowned for things outside of his control before, that knew what that felt like, when the people that were supposed to love you no matter what decided something stupid was one thing too many. And maybe out here in the big city, your sister being an alien was one of the least surprising things possible to come across.

Well. Mal didn't seem to be too fazed by this, and apparently there were more aliens somewhere. (Kaylie didn't live here. Well, maybe they'd cross paths anyway. It'd be nice to meet another alien.) Rae shrugged a little. "I can't control it," she said. "So it just sort of happens. But I haven't done it on accident in a few years at least." Maybe uh, Kaylie, would know how to control it. It was worth a try, right? That was what Rae thought.

Well, that made two of them. "I don't either," she said. "I only found out a few years ago, and kind of panicked if I'm being honest. Finally told mom and dad, and... well let's just say they changed the locks. So I came here. I'm sorry, I just didn't have any better ideas." And to be honest, maybe some part of her figured, he went through it too. He knew what it felt like, and maybe being around someone that knew what it was like, maybe that'd be a good thing for her.

Turned out, he had a whole hostel full of people that knew what that felt like. And maybe that was why the other alien hung around here. The feeling of being understood was a very nice one.

Played by Lenara

Sim

"Well that's a good start." Just mildly encouraging. "Maybe now that you don't have to hide it quite as much you will be able to take some time to learn how to control it actively." Not because she necessarily wanted to read minds, but because it was a part of her and she should know how to use those powers, in his opinion. It was up to her though, of course. Malachite would never push her into something she wasn't comfortable with.

"Don't be sorry, I'm glad you came here." Was what he said. "At least this way I know you're safe and can help you get settled. Things get a bit rowdy sometimes, but we take care of each other here, and there's not anyone at the Casa I'd be worried about introducing you to." People who were real troublemakers didn't tend to last very long for various reasons. Kassander and Surya were the two biggest reasons. Most people didn't play games when those two were around, they were scary. 

Awesome people, and Mal loved them like family, but they were still scary.

"The circumstances aren't ideal, and I'm so sorry that you had to go through this, Rae, but you don't have to face it alone anymore." And that was the best that Mal could promise her, maybe, and it wasn't going to fix everything but it was somewhere to start for them both, maybe. But well, acceptance and somewhere safe to come into her own, those were pretty great things for anyone to have, and they tended to allow for a lot of grace in other areas. Sure, he couldn't make up for their parents being awful, but well... he'd do what he could.