Collapse Menu

Changes — Britechester

Changes

Started by Kaylie Vo at 09 Sep, 2020 5:54 pm
June 2, 2020
6 Posts

Played by Arceus

Alien

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not.

Term was almost over, but Kaylie intended to stay over summer for summer classes. Mostly because she had nowhere else to go and needed the dorms available to her, or she'd end up on the street and that seemed like a bad idea. Unlike the other students that weren't staying over summer, she hadn't bothered cleaning out her dorm or anything. It was kind of strange to be one of the only ones that wasn't packing and getting ready to leave. Eh.

Instead, she'd gone human-looking and done her makeup. After a handful of minutes arguing with herself over it in the mirror, she decided to run off across campus and find Daren; he was usually over here, drawing something, around this time, and - aha! Kaylie scurried over to him and sat down beside him. "It doesn't look weird, does it? I'm not used to makeup colours on human skin tones."

Of course, Daren had never seen her human before, but that didn't cross her mind at any point as being a potential issue. Her voice was the same high-pitched, squeaky tone it always was, except minus the echo, and Daren wasn't an idiot so he could probably figure out it was her. Right? And thus her mind had dropped the entire thought process. More important in this situation was making sure these colours worked with her human skin tone. She thought they did anyway. Pale peach wasn't that much different from pale blue when you only ever wore black, right?

"I also curled my hair," she added. "That doesn't look weird either, does it?" She'd almost forgotten how bad at human-stuff she actually was. Which was funny, because she was raised by a human. Granted, a human male, who didn't know how hair or makeup worked. Maybe the issue here wasn't that she was an alien, but more that she was raised by a single father that was also sickly.

She missed him a lot, from time to time. Now was one of those times.

Lenara (No rush)

Played by Lenara

Sim

For a second Daren wasn't sure who had just approached him, seeing as he didn't actually recognize her. But then the girl opened her mouth and her voice was familiar enough that Daren was able to piece together what he was hearing. After a moment or two the shock wore off and he did recognize some small things that were similar between what he normally saw of Kaylie and this particular form. He'd stopped drawing almost as soon as she began to speak, and now he felt kind of silly because he hadn't said anything.

"Ah, hey, Kaylie." He greeted, finally, remembering that might be kind of important. His tone probably held some left over confusion, but he tried his best to cover it. "Surprising, but not really weird, no." Well, technically it was weird seeing normal colors on Kaylie because he was very used to, well, the fact that she was blue. Was that the right answer? Well it was probably the closest to a right answer that Daren necessarily had. "Though I must confess to not being extremely familiar with make up." So maybe he wasn't the best person to ask.

"Your hair looks really nice though." That he felt confident saying, if nothing else, because it really did look nice. 

"But... is everything okay?" Because the elephant in the room here was the complete and total change of her appearance, and Daren felt like it was be remiss not to at least ask if she was okay. He was not above snarling at someone if they were causing her trouble. 

Played by Arceus

Alien

See, he figured it out, nothing to be too concerned about. Kaylie smiled slightly in greeting and then nodded. Right. Surprising, but not weird. And then she made a face at him.

"I figured you can at least tell me when something looks odd," she said. "You're an artist, silly, you know how colour cohesion works and stuff like that." Or that was what she was thinking about it? Was it that different? Hmm. Kaylie hadn't ever really thought about it. Maybe it was strange to think the principles of art and makeup worked similarly enough.

Good deal on the hair though, that was good. She did kind of like how it looked this way, so maybe she'd do this more often.

"Yes?" she answered. "Should it not be?" That was an odd question. Then again, she was being awfully concerned about her appearance and that was a strange thing for her given she tended to just do whatever it was she wanted, and worry about what others thought about it never. But then, she also didn't know what all she wanted to tell him, either. It wasn't like Daren was the kind of friend that'd embarrass her about it or tease or anything.

Kaylie just wasn't good at getting crushes on people. Actually, she was quite bad at it.

Played by Lenara

Sim

"Well, it doesn't look odd." Daren said mildly. "It looks nice, even, once I got used to the fact that you look different." He'd gotten used to her pale blue complexion, maybe that wasn't surprising given she didn't generally hide the whole being an alien thing. "I just meant that there are many different things one might be going for with make up, and I can't be sure which is your plan." Hence his comment about not knowing enough about make up to help. But if 'weird' was all she was concerned about, that wasn't such a hard thing to answer.

"I just wanted to make sure." Daren responded after a moment. "You don't normally do this." Or... really care what other people might think regarding her. "So I was a bit worried that something had happened that I didn't know about." And it had worried him enough to ask, because he cared about Kaylie, at least as a friend. The last thing she needed was more people causing trouble for her. 

"You don't have to tell me what it is, I just wanted to make sure that you were okay." Because that was something friends did, they made sure their friends were alright, especially when they were acting in a way that could be considered unusual. "That out of the way, how is your day going?" It seemed worth asking. 

Played by Arceus

Alien

Well, the good news was, she was only going for not looking 'weird.' It wasn't like she had any idea what the girl was into. Probably, knowing Kaylie's luck, not on that list was other girls, but she tried not to think about it too much. Maybe she'd get lucky, and things would turn out okay. Maybe not. It was hard to say. This was silly, wasn't it? Yeah, it probably was, but thinking about it, Kaylie got a little bit too scrambled to think straight and maybe that was her problem about now. Maybe she should tell Daren what she was thinking so he could tell her it was stupid.

But then, maybe Daren was biased. He'd gotten used to her and her weird alien stuff, someone new wouldn't be accustomed to it yet and it was a lot more common than she'd like to admit that someone just didn't bother trying to get to know her past the part where she was blue. And what did being blue even matter anyway? She was just as human as they were, she didn't even know where Sixam was! But then, that thought train just made her depressed, and she decided to try thinking about something else. Like what? No idea.

Kaylie kind of fidgeted slightly, glancing down at the grass. "There's just this girl..." ... and he could probably guess the rest. Kaylie wasn't normally one for getting crushes on people. She hadn't done that through all of high school, either. Everyone else was pairing off, and it was always Kaylie and Daren going stag to pretty much everything. Except together. She was going to hope he didn't secretly have a thing for her and she was blind and stupid and maybe lesbian, because that would be- ... ... upsetting, but not for the reasons she'd expected.

Damn it, feelings were weird. (What colour did one glow when they were confused, anyway? She should be a fucking lighthouse in that colour.)

Anyway, she was overthinking things. She shook her head. "Fine," she said. "Got all my summer clothes out and washed everything. Feeling kind of productive. How's yours? What're you drawing today?" It was silly to ask if he was drawing because he was always drawing something.

Played by Lenara

Sim

Ah. It was always something like that, wasn't it? He had a feeling one of his dads would have broken out with something about if the girl wouldn't accept her for who she was naturally, maybe it wasn't a good idea to go forward with it, but Daren decided to keep that particular thought to himself. There wasn't much reason to believe it was anything more than Kaylie being nervous about this crush. And besides, she hadn't asked for his opinion, and Daren did try not to butt into things he wasn't necessarily invited into. It wasn't like he had experience on the matter or anything anyway.

"I see." Was what he said after a moment, "I'm sure you'll do fine when you're ready to talk to her." Angling for mildly encouraging and leaving it there unless Kaylie kept on the subject or wanted to actually discuss it more in detail. He didn't really figure she would, given the very fragmented bit of information there, but she had proven him wrong more than once, so he wasn't going to assume the door was closed, so to say.

"That's good to hear, and productive is always a nice feeling for sure." Daren agreed with a short laugh. But it was good that she was having a good day and that there wasn't anything that seemed to be pressing and bothering her aside from the apparent crush, which was... honestly one of the most normal things that could possibly happen. 

Daren glanced down at the sketchbook in his lap. Daren shifted the sketchbook so that Kaylie could take a look if she wanted to. It wasn't really anything exciting by any means though. "Just some figure studies, getting the hang of some particular movements. Dance poses, mostly." Not clarifying that some of them had come from references and others had come from his dad. It wasn't that Daren necessarily thought Kassander cared to keep it a secret it just always felt kind of personal and private. 

Besides, it probably didn't matter where they'd come from.