Collapse Menu

Roots — Windenburg

Roots

Started by Bennett Kincaid at 13 Sep, 2020 7:41 pm
June 1, 2020
6 Posts

Played by lemon

Sim

"It's highly important that we get peanut butter for the oreos, I promise, the combination is life changing!"

Bennett grew up in Windenburg, spent his teenage years climbing rocks at The Bluffs. The teenagers of Widenburg collectively took over the remote spot and overhauled it into a spot to get away from their parents and party past curfew. Bennett would occasionally get to the highest ledge of the crumbling walls and spray paint his tag among the other graffiti artists. Any chance he got to put a speck of artwork into the world, he took it.

It had been a month or so since he'd been back, after moving to Evergreen Harbour. He was in town visiting his Aunt Bee and his younger cousin who still lived in Windslar. Evergreen Harbour wasn't exactly what Bennett had expected, but he was determined to integrate into the community, make something of himself, and show off his talent as an artist in the up & coming town.

He was staying in Windenburg for the week, so he started it off right by taking a walk down memory lane. His feet took him to The Bluffs, and he marveled at crumbling walls now covered in faded bits of paint. He eyeballed the path he once took to get up high and shook his head, "I shouldn't be doing this" he muttered to himself, testing a rock for stability before he attempted to ascend.

He was about to go for it, climb the rocks and perch on the ledge, when he heard the snap of a stick being stepped on a few yards away. Bennett spun on his heel to catch a glimpse at whoever approached. 

Played by Arceus

Spellcaster

Every day is another chance to make someone else smile.

It was probably a better idea to go somewhere else to catch these. It wasn't even like the potion was terribly pressing and needed to be brewed right this second, it was more that Stella liked to be prepared for things. Predicting the unpredictable, that was something she liked to try doing, and besides that, it was always good to have a stock of potions on-hand. In this way, when it was pressing that they be available, there was no mad scramble to brew them. One thing Stella had noticed was that magic tended to go quite sour when one was panicked and stressed while doing it.

Not that she'd ever tried anything notably dangerous while stressed. Stella didn't like to rely on magic for everything, just more things than she should, probably. It was always refreshing to be able to skip the mundane things.

As she stalked the insect she was after, though, it was getting awfully close to the ledge, and Stella wasn't good enough a rock climber to get over there without potentially falling to her doom. Or at least an arm splint. All the same, she didn't stop following it, her hands raised and held out in preparation of catching it. But so absorbed in following her little insect friend did she become, she completely missed where it went, and it fell right off the cliffside, and she squealed and forced herself to fall backwards.

That was a much better idea than falling down there, yep. Okay.

"Bugs 1, Stella 0..." she grumbled to herself, but she stayed right where she was. And then, of course, realised there was someone else there and sort of released a puff of air. Of course there was. "I didn't do that," she said. Just, pretend for her for a moment, yep.

[Btw, the date field is for IC date, and we're currently in late May-early June, so September is a bit off from the rest of the site c: May wanna swap it.]

Played by lemon

Sim

"It's highly important that we get peanut butter for the oreos, I promise, the combination is life changing!"

Bennett's deep blue eyes snapped towards the sound nearby.  He looked up just as a person went tumbling backwards, instead of face first into the tall grasses and staggered rocks below. "phew, that's good, I am not good in an emergency, that could've been bad..." Bennett thought to himself, almost relieved. A flash of white hair caught his eye just as she went down. Stark white, "well..that's cool" 

"Bugs 1, Stella 0..." Ope, that couldn't have felt good. Was she after...a bug? She didn't budge from where she landed and instead exclaimed out loud that she hadn't actually collapsed. He covered his mouth with a tattooed hand attempting to hide his amusement. "What were you after up there anyway?" Bennett chuckled, questioningly. He took a moment finding his footing and hoisted himself up, using bent fingers to hook into small cracks in the cliff walls. 

Once he made it flat footed, on the ledge, he offered her a hand to help her back to her feet. "I didn't expect to find someone else out here, and while I've caught plenty of fire flies at the bluffs, I don't think I ever did so from up here. " He smirked, crossing his arms over his chest. 

(oops, thank you <3)

Played by Arceus

Spellcaster

"A mantis," Stella answered, gratefully taking the offered hand and standing up, brushing her skirt off. If nothing else, maybe the next time she decided to go bug hunting, she should wear jeans or something. Stella tended towards girlier fashion; skirts, dresses, cute turtlenecks, scarves, but she wasn't a huge fan of makeup or jewellery. It was a strange combination and she tried not to think about it too hard. She'd just confuse herself, most likely.

"I ah... wasn't really expecting it to come all the way out here, I should've thought better of that," she said. "But I didn't fall! That's good." Well, she supposed that was a good thing. Of course, it wasn't so much the falling part that'd be a problem, as the landing. The landing might suck a little bit. Stella kind of glanced over the cliff edge. Yeah, that looked unfortunate to her, sure did.

"Thank you, by the way. I'm Stella." And not from around here, either. She was here looking for her sister, but well. She'd not had much luck locating Sindria before now, either, so it was no wonder she hadn't found her here. Well, Sindria ran with a different crowd now, one Stella wasn't terribly familiar with.

Played by lemon

Sim

A Mantis?? His mind wandered off and he thought of the nature documentary he'd seen about the insect. Praying mantises wait to ambush or patiently stalk their prey, once they're ready to strike though, they do so with lightning speed, attacking with those big front legs so quickly it's hard to see with the naked eye. In addition, they have spikes on their legs to skewer and pin the victims into place. Terrifying if you thought about it too hard.

"Can you imagine if those things were our size? They'd probably be in charge, not us." he shuddered at the thought, his imagination playing out a variety of gorey scenarios. Maybe he had watched THEM too many times for his own good. His nosy nature made Bennett ask more questions. "Once you caught it, what were you gonna do with him?" Bennett's left brow lifted quizzically. Aside from keeping him in a jar to oogle for a day or two, he couldn't come up with a single use for a bug.

After helping her to her feet she nodded in thanks and introduced herself. "You didn't fall forward, but you did fall." He smirked playfully. "I'm Bennett." he added, also sharing his first name. His eyes darted from her white hair to the graffiti on the wall. His heart felt a teensy bit lighter when he spotted his own work, not covered over by another tagger. He placed his palm on the wall. "I did this when I was like thirteen" he chuckled. The paint was faded, all the paint was faded, and he wondered what kept the younger generation from doing the same thing his had. Did kids not explore The Bluffs anymore? 

Played by Arceus

Spellcaster

Uh... she'd uh. She was gonna. How did you answer that question without sounding like you were a little loose upstairs? Stella hadn't mastered talking about magic without admitting to being magic. There was a trick to it. The sages seemed to have a little more tact than she did at least. Well, Simeon did. L didn't seem to care either way and for that matter, neither did Morgyn. Not that she made a habit of talking to either L or Morgyn, but when she was in magic realm, ignoring the sages was... well it was rude, and Stella tried not to be rude.

Theoretically, she kept a lot of her bugs as pets, technically, given she caught certain things and then held onto them and just made copies of them with magic when she needed one for a potion. That required keeping the one she had alive and in decent shape, because it was quite cruel to capture something living and then not take care of it at least. It was almost sad, having to kill the poor things for potions, but magic was like that. Nothing was notably free.

And then he was talking about something on the walls. Stella's purple eyes looked over at it, and she tilted her head. That sounded like a few years ago. Stella never understood the draw to things like that, but she'd always been a bit of a goody two shoes. Her life was probably a lot less interesting than his. "Are you an artist now?" she asked. Maybe. Doing things like this as a kid might eventually lead into more proper artistic expression later. "I'm no good at things like that myself. Probably couldn't even paint a straight line." Probably not, no. Not that she'd tried.